OCEAN BLUFF
Marshfield, MA

In the 1630s, the government of the Pilgrim settlers at Plymouth began to give out land grants in the area.

The Ocean Bluff area was first granted to the governor of the Pilgrims. It was known by about 1638 as "Governor's Island". Later on in the 17th century, it became known as "Winter's Island". Christopher Winter was later tried in Plymouth Court for the crime of fathering his own grandchild. Eventually, his daughter married a man named John Hewitt, and he became the owner of Winter's Island. For many generations the area was known as Hewitt's Island, or Hewitt's Point. However, today most residents refer to the area as "Ocean Bluff".

Brant Rock was originally known as "Branch's Island". Hewitt's Island and Branch's Island were sometimes referred to as the "Spectacle Islands", because together the islands looked like a pair of spectacles or eyeglasses. After the Green Harbor Dyke was built following the Civil War, the tidal salt marshes in the area dried up. The Spectacle Islands were no longer surrounded by water from the tidal flooding of the marshes, and ceased to constitute "islands". (Wiki)

Bessie Wright's Store


Ocean Bluff Aerial by Jack and Linda - CLICK HERE to view more of their photos


St. Ann's before the Fire - 1939


Temporary Chapel After Fire


St. Ann's Today

WINSHIP DRUG

 
 
Web Hosting Companies